Create a lasting family memento commemorating your service as a Desert Storm Veteran.
You’ll need some information to start your Desert Storm Veteran shadow box. The best policy is to get all of the award and personal information you’ll need to create the shadow box ahead of time. All of this information is listed on a Veteran’s DD-214 separation paper, which can be obtained through The National Archives. If the DD-214s are not available to you, you’ll want to at least be sure to get the rank, branch of service and unit information for your Desert Storm Veteran.
The shadow box below is a very basic display that will fit most Veterans DD-214s. If you or your Desert Storm Veteran served 30 days in theater or 60 nonconsecutive days between August 1990 and November 1995, the case below shows some medals you or your Veteran would have earned. Here is an example of how you can build a beautiful shadow box to showcase your military medals or to give as a gift for an Desert Storm Veteran. We built this shadow box using our Shadow Box Builder online.
1. This is a great place for a patch, military medallion or a personal photograph.
2. Collar insignia, rank, patches or badges always look good here.
3. Ribbon sets look good as a topper to the full size medals.
4. Official full size medals are the heart of every shadow box. Use gold plated medals for Marines.
5. Generations to come will know what your medals are with ID plates.
6. Challenge coins or a military medallion look great in this space.
7. Shooting badges and unit awards are nice to add here.
8. Engraved plates honor and identify the Desert Storm Veteran and shadow box.
We built this case using the online Shadow Box Builder and it came to about $300 with full mounting service and shipping to your door ready to hang.
Medals some Desert Storm Veterans have in common:
NDSM : National Defense Service Medal
Criteria: Any honorable active duty service.
SWASM : Southwest Asia Service Medal
Criteria: Active participation in, or support of, Operations Desert Shield and/or Desert Storm.
KLM : Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)
Criteria: Participation in, or support of, Operation Desert Storm. (January-February 1991)
KLM : Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait)
Criteria: Participation in, or support of, Operations Desert Shield and/or Desert Storm. (1990-1993)