ARMY OFFICER ENGINEER COLLAR INSIGNIA PAIR
Branch Insignia: A gold color triple turreted castle eleven sixteenths inch in height.
The triple turreted castle has been in use by the Corps of Engineers since it was adopted in 1840. Prior to that time a similar insignia was worn on the uniforms of the United States Military Academy Cadets since they were under direction of the Chief of Engineers. Selection of the turreted castle as the Engineer insignia followed the first major construction undertaken by the Corps of Engineers - the building of a system of castle-like fortifications for the protection of Atlantic Coast harbors. These fortifications, many of which are still standing, were in fact called “castles”. By 1924, the insignia had evolved into its current design and gold color.
Regimental Insignia: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/16 inches in height consisting of a scarlet shield with silver border and gold castle at center and attached below a scarlet scroll inscribed “ESSAYONS” (Let Us Try) in silver. The regimental insignia was approved on 11 April 1986.
Birthday: 16 June 1775. Continental Congress authority for a “Chief of Engineer for the Army” dates from 16 June 1775. A Corps of Engineers for the United States was authorized by the Congress on 11 March 1779. The Corps of Engineers, as it is known today, came into being on 16 March 1802, when the President was authorized to “organize and establish a Corps of Engineers... that the said Corps...shall be stationed at West Point in the State of New York and shall constitute a Military Academy.” A Corps of Topographical Engineers, authorized on 4 July 1838, was merged with the Corps of Engineers on 3 March 1963.
|Brand||Medals of America|