US Army Quartermaster Corps Officer
US ARMY QUARTERMASTER CORPS OFFICER COLLAR INSIGNIA
Branch Insignia: A gold color eagle with wings spread perched on a wheel with a blue felloe set with thirteen gold stars, having thirteen gold spokes and the hub white with a red center; superimposed on the wheel a gold sword and key crossed diagonally hilt and bow up. The insignia is 3/4 inches in height. Sold in pairs. The insignia of the Quartermaster Department was approved in 1895. The design was retained when the Corps was established in 1912. After World War I, the earlier design, with the eagle’s head superimposed on one wing, was changed to depict the head above the wings. The wagon wheel is symbolic of transportation and symbolize the original colonies and the origin of the Corps during the Revolutionary War. The sword, indicative of the military forces, and the key, alluding to storekeeping functions, symbolize the control of military supplies by the Quartermaster Corps. The eagle symbolizes our nation; red, white, and blue are the national colors.
Branch Plaque: The plaque design has the branch insignia (gold with ring of wheel in blue, stars and inner hub white, and hub pin in red) with gold letters. The designation band is blue, the letters and borders are gold, and the background is buff.
Regimental Insignia: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 inch in height consisting of a gold eagle with wings spread and head lowered looking to his right and standing upon a wheel with a blue felloe set with thirteen gold stars, having thirteen gold spokes and the hub white with a red center; superimposed on the wheel a gold sword and key crossed diagonally hilt and bow up, all on a black background and resting upon a wreath of green laurel terminating at either side below the eagle’s wings at the upper end of the sword and key. Attached below the device is a gold scroll inscribed “SUPPORTING VICTORY” in black. The original regimental insignia was all gold and approved on 31 March 1986. The design was changed on 7 June 1994 to add color to the insignia.
Regimental Coat of Arms: The coat of arms appears on the breast of a displayed eagle on the regimental flag. The coat of arms is: Buff, a chevron Azure between a short sword point down bendwise sinister surmounted by a helmet contourne Argent, a bundle of arrows Sable surmounted by a garb Or, and a quill bendwise of the third surmounted by a key wards to base bendwise sinister of the fifth. Displayed above the eagle’s head is the crest (on a wreath of the colors Or and buff, the device from the Quartermaster Corps Regimental Insignia Proper). The Coat of Arms was approved on 16 June 1994. Prior to approval of the Coat of Arms, the Quartermaster regimental flag consisted of the branch insignia centered above a designation scroll on a buff background with blue fringe.
Symbolism of Regimental Insignia: The device utilizes the traditional Quartermaster Corps branch insignia with the eagle in a slightly different configuration known historically as the “Regimental Eagle”. The eagle symbolizes our nation; the wagon wheel is symbolic of transportation and delivery of supplies. The stars and spokes of the wheel symbolize the original colonies. The sword, indicative of the military forces, and the key, alluding to the storekeeping functions, symbolize the control of military supplies by the Quartermaster Corps. The wreath signifies honor and achievement.
Symbolism of the Regimental Coat of Arms: Buff is the primary color traditionally associated with the Quartermaster Corps. The dark blue chevron represents valor and alludes to the fact that the Quartermaster Corps is the foundation of logistics. The Spartan helmet and short sword symbolize the Corps’ warrior spirit — warriors supporting warriors. The shock of wheat superimposed over the spray of arrows represents the diversity of vital supplies the Quartermaster Corps provides. The arrows symbolize the defensive mission of the Corps. The wheat symbolizes the life-giving sustenance the Corps provides all soldiers. The key and quill represents the Quartermaster’s control of military supplies and attests to the sound business practices and professionalism of the Corps.
Branch Colors: Buff - 65015 cloth; 67135 yarn; PMS 465. The plumes for the Quartermasters in 1835 were prescribed to be light blue. In 1851, the pompon on the caps of all members of the staff corps consisted of the lower two-thirds in buff and the upper third of the color of the corps. Light or saxony blue was used for the Quartermaster Department. In 1884, the color buff was adopted which is presently used. Light blue is still used as the secondary color on flags for Quartermaster units.
Birthday: 16 June 1775. The Quartermaster Corps, originally designated the Quartermaster Department, was established on 16 June 1775. While numerous additions, deletions and changes of functions have occurred, its basic supply and service support functions have continued in existence.